Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Routines


There is something to be said about routines. Humans are creatures of habits. We create our own sort of patterns in life, in our work environment, in our home environment and down to the pattern of a day in our life.

When we break the pattern of the routine we have to relearn a new temporary pattern. Such as the pattern of a vacation. These, of course, are welcome breaks. But when we, once again, return to our patterns . . . we slip easily into a routine.

For me, my daily routine is a comfort to me. It is like an old friend that welcomes me back with open arms and fluffy slippers. I used to complain about how the routines were boring, but as I get older, I enjoy them more.

I like hearing the whoose of the shower behind the closed door as Joel gets ready for the day. I like hearing the cat pawing at the door to get in so she can jump up onto the sink and meow for someone to turn on the water to a trickle so she can take a drink. I like turning on my tea pot to make my cup of green tea as I listen to the early morning news and put on my make up. I like waking up the girls and kissing them good bye and wishing them a good day at school. I even like getting on the trolley so that I don't have to fight the traffic on the way to work.

This morning there was a kink in my routine. Not a bad one. But a bit of a change. There was an accident on the corner of Broward Blvd. and Andrews Avenue. So I told the trolley driver that I would walk the rest of the way to work. Not a long distance. A nice stretch of my legs too.

As I approached my building something in me said that I needed orange juice and a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee! So I turned, walked toward the restaurants and smiled.

A change up in the routine is good, no matter how minute it is. Yes, I got my coffee. Then I went around the bend to the Downtown Deli for my orange juice. The restaurant owners haven't seen me in a long time and wanted to chat. It was a warm feeling. Like a neighborhood!

So, routines are nice, but a little change now and then can be good for the soul.

No comments: