Thursday, January 10, 2008

Six Degrees of Far Rockaway


No matter where I go or what I do, Far Rockaway will always be my link. Whenever I have conversations with people and we talk about where I am from, I always find a connection to Far Rockaway!

Just today, I was at a marketing workshop. After a long day of listening to my wonderful speaker, Alice Zimet, a fellow New Yorker, speak to more than 100 cultural organizations and artists, we decided we both needed a drink.

So off we headed, with a co-worker to Tarpon Bend in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Since Alice didn't rent a car, I volunteered to pick her up at the hotel and be her driver around town. It gave us a chance to chat along the way. As we were talking, she asked me where I was from and of course I told her Far Rockaway. She said that she knows someone, a very dear friend of hers, who also blew her off for some unknown reason, who used to be the Executive Director of the Paul Taylor Dance Company. I almost pulled the car over! I screamed out, "you mean Ross Kramberg????" I couldn't believe it!

So then we started trading stories about Ross. She made me call Joel to tell him, but he was so blase about it!!

So it goes, over and over again. No matter where I go or who I meet, I can always find a Far Rockaway connection. I call it the "Six Degrees of Far Rockaway."

No comments: