Thursday, January 17, 2008

It's That Time of Year Again


It is that time of year again when I take joy in watching other people make fools of themselves.

Tuesday night was the first night of American Idol. Why I am addicted to that TV show, I really don't know, but I am. I love to watch the auditions. I love to hear Simon Cowell's responses to the outlandish. He can be terribly mean, but it is good entertainment. Just what FOX wants out of the audience. We come back for more because people get up there and either they just want to be seen on national television or they really, truly believe that they can sing.

The first night was in Philadelphia. Two hours of wonderful entertainment, interspersed with a rare talented individual that can hold a tune or belt out a note. Then of course there are the pity cases where some poor, stupid teenager got herself pregnant and is raising her child without the father and wants to be a superstar. They always get through because they tug the heartstrings. I call that the Fantasia factor.

Then you have the ultimately bazaar, like this guy who came in a black cape and when he dropped the cape was dressed as Cleopatra except he was completely hairy like a bear all over. So they tell him that if he gets waxed he can come back . . . and he did it and then he still couldn't sing a note.

On night two the moved the auditions to Texas. More of the same. This will go on for another week and they on to Hollywood to eliminate the singers that think they can sing until they are under pressure in the lights of the studio and in front of an audience and many TV cameras. Only the strong will survive.

I would LOVE to be a judge on American Idol. I almost always agree with Simon. Although I wouldn't pepper my comments so boldly as he does, I would still be painfully honest and tell them that this just isn't their forte.

And so now I wait until next Tuesday to see the next edition of American Idol.

No comments: