Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Life


Life is so precious. I have said it before and I am continually amazed at how simple it is for our lifeforce to be gone in an instant. One day we are living, breathing, magical units. The next day, gone.

Why, why, why would someone become so incredibly desperate to take their own life? What else is there if you don't have your life? We can't know what comes after we breathe our last breath, until that time arrives.

It is so sad to hear that a person has become so distraught in their everyday life, that they feel the best solution is to just leave the earth. Leave all of their family and friends behind wondering, why. What could we have done to prevent this?

Yesterday as I stood on line with Adina to get an autograph from Anthony Rapp, star of both the stage and screen versions of "Rent," my cell phone buzzed and I heard the distressing news that my friend's brother had taken his life.

What a strange dycotomy that was. The story of "Rent" is wrapped around the fabric of the lives of young, vital adults just starting out in life but plagued with the burdens of no jobs, terminal illnesses, heartbreak and death. Yet, they found each other and they found love. And here I get a phone call that could have been a scene in the show.

Well, I took a deep breath, looked at my beautiful, innocent 12-year-old and thanked the lord that we have been blessed in our lives with love and happiness and the ability to deal with whatever life throws us. Then I spoke as calmly as I could to my friend and encouraged him to be strong, focused and as calm as possible to make logical decisions for now and deal with the emotions later.

Difficult, yes, but life will go one. It is a hard road, but depending on the consitution of my friend will be how he deals with this sad news.

No comments: