Monday, February 11, 2008

Wholesome Fun


Wholesome fun . . . that is what it was on Friday night.

Backing up a few hours, I received a call from Sandra, Jose's girlfriend, inviting me and the entire Leshinsky family to Jose's surprise birthday party. Jose works for me and also does freelance work for Joel too. Sandra also invited Samantha, who also works for me. That was a big thing for Sandra because I know that she is a bit intimidated by Samantha and me. No need to be of course, but that is her hurdle. However, Samantha and I decided that we should definitely go to help him celebrate.

So Joel and I invited Samantha to meet us for dinner first. We ended up at Flanagan's in Weston. After a nice relaxing dinner we drove off into Southwest Ranches to Jose's family's house. He lives on a horse farm on many acres with about 70 horses!

When we arrived, Jose's face lit up like a Christmas tree. He was so excited that we all came to his birthday surprise party! He was celebrating his 27th! Yes, I know, he is but a baby. In fact, he is young enough to be my son which was really weird to accept when I first met him almost two years ago.

So there were about 20 20-somethings celebrating. They are all salsa dancers and they danced up a storm. In between dancing there was a lot of laughter, a lot of eating and some drinking, but not drunkeness.

Then at about 9:30 pm Jose announced that we were going to play "Cranium." I had never played that game, but hey, how bad could it be? So we split up into two teams . . . males against females! There were 11 of us and five of them. It really was a fun game. A little bit of Jeopardy, a little bit of Charades, Hangman, Wheel of Fortune and so on.

Wholesome fun. It gives me hope that the Y generation, although a bit geeky and nerdy, will be okay. These are the future doctors that will be curing our ails and the future lawyers protecting our rights. They were just downright nice people. And that was a good feeling.

No comments: